Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner: Who Invited the Paleo Chick?

You know what's the BEST time to start a new bad-ass-eating-life-journey?  The Holidays.
*Cricket noises*

Now by “best,” I mean, What is wrong with me?”

Not to worry my dear sweet Cave-Kids, I wouldn’t be reporting to you on the subject if I didn’t think it possible. In fact, I am here to say, “YES WE CAN!” And in fact, I did. Operation: Paleo Option Thanksgiving was a rousing success by all of those who participated. So what if I was the only one who did...
I attended Thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws and left it in the hands of the Fates that I would be able to fashion my own diet-appropriate meal as my loved ones dined on scalloped potatoes, corn bread stuffing, biscuits and (my old-favorite) green bean casserole. You know the kind I’m talking about…that gloppy goodness that involved a can of mushroom soup and fried onions on top? Sigh. I was determined that I could eat and be happy without having to make the family-chefs go out of their way to prepare Paleo-foods for me.

The Hubs couldn’t be stopped from bringing along a crock-pot full of homemade stuffing, but we were also sure to come armed with my favorite: Brussels sprouts roasted with bacon. Thus--no matter what--I was safe.

Roasted Brussels sprouts with Bacon
1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, quartered
4-6 strips bacon, thick cut
Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Quickly blanch your sprouts to brighten their color and boost the flavor-soaking powers.
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and set aside, retaining bacon fat from cooking.  In a bowl, toss quartered Brussels sprouts with remaining bacon fat (nom, nom, nom). We collect our rendered baking fat, or lard, so if you do the same you can add more as needed, or drop a slab of butter in the pan after snatching out the bacon. Chop bacon and add to mixture. On a foil lined baking sheet, scatter Brussels sprouts and bacon. Pop those bad boys in the oven for about 30 minutes. Magnifique!

Thankfully once we arrived, I was pleasantly overwhelmed by the scent of Paleo-friendly options! My meal consisted of smoked turkey, sprouts (of course), roasted broccoli and red peppers, a homemade cranberry-apple sauce and a nice selection off of the Hors d'Oeuvres tray.

LEMON BARS!
So aside from the three glasses of champagne (whoops!), my Thanksgiving fell well within my needs. My sweet darling mother even brought along a dessert just for me: a BANG-A-RANG Lemon Bar recipe from Civilized Cavemen Cooking. It was just scrum-dilli-umptious and refreshing, with an almond macadamia nut crust. I’m happy to say, the left overs came home with us.


Finally, I don’t want you to be glum that you have to “miss out” on the Turkey-Leftover-Sandwiches because where there’s a will, there’s a way to use those day-after goodies. Shred the turkey for taco salad, meatloaf or PALEO-casserole. Breakfast is where you’ll find I use EVERYTHING we brought home. Not even the antipasto will go to waste!
Antipasto Leftovers + 3 Eggs = 
BOOM: SCRAMBLE!


We can do it, Cave-kids. I promise. Stick with me.
 December, here we come!

Grr…urg…LOVE,
This Primal Yogi

*NEXT ON THE BLOG*

A Yogi in the Box

No comments:

Post a Comment